Wednesday, July 20, 2011

J-Dawgs special sauce!

I saw this recipe on http://makemyselfathome.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/j-dawgs/

and knew I had to save it.


Now does anyone know if they still sell morning star hot dogs anymore??

(that's when my husband gags at me even suggesting that) ;)



"(A half recipe is plenty for 4-6 dogs)

  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan & heat just to boiling on medium heat.
  2. Drizzle over your favorite grilled (George Foreman works just fine) Polish or beef hot dog (we went with the NYC cart-style Kosher dogs, to add a little East Coast twist to this Mountain West institution) in the best hot dog roll you can find. If your grocery store under-prioritizes hot dog rolls as much as ours does, you may end up with the lame white Wonder buns. That’s okay too. Just this once.
  3. Top with your favorite hot dog condiments (I like banana peppers alone; My Husband The More Adventurous & Less Prone To Caring What His Breath Smells Like Because I’ll Still Kiss Him Afterwards Anyway likes banana peppers, diced onions, & a dill pickle spear). Just please, go without the ketchup this one time.
  4. Savor."