Monday, July 13, 2009

Penne al Salsa Rosata



Let's talk ingredients. Fresh and high quality of course is going to make this thing shine. I may sound like a commercial, but I want you to enjoy this as much as I do, and if I can help you do that and cut some calories at the same time I am all for it! So I'm telling you right off why I use Jennie-O Italian Turkey Sausage even though it is more expensive. The fact that it is turkey and not pork leads you to one important point: it
has significantly less fat than your average pork sausage. Normally that would be the end of the story, however, Jennie-O's sausage has an amazing flavor and just the right amount of spice leaving your tongue happy! I also like using fat-free half and half to cut down on the calories. But you know, do whatever you want and it will be fine. Like Emeril Lagasse says: "it's not rocket science, people!". Oh yeah...you know penne rigate just means that the pasta has ridges instead being smooth. I like the rigate because it holds the sauce better. Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 (3.5 ounce each) links hot Jennie-O Turkey Italian sausage
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes

3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fat free half and half (regular is ok too)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 pound penne rigate pasta
Directions
In large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Remove casing from sausage and add to skillet. Cook, breaking up the meat, until brown. Add garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring until garlic is golden brown. Add tomatoes and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

Add cream to tomato sauce and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and add pasta, toss for 1 minute. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley sprinkled over the top and serve. Serves 6

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. It was a great recipe on it's own but I changed it a little here and there to fit my preferences.